The Phuket Hotels Association announced PHIST 2018 (Phuket Hotels for Islands Sustaining Tourism Forum 2018).
The Phuket Hotels Association in partnership with C9 Hotel Works and Greenview announced PHIST 2018 (Phuket Hotels for Islands Sustaining Tourism Forum 2018) the first of its kind, an innovative event rallying the hotel industry and its stakeholders to discuss environmental sustainability and community benefit. Estimating 500 attendees, the event will be held on Monday, September 24, 2018, at JW Marriott Phuket in Thailand.
PHIST 2018 will have a small exhibit hall and offer attendees a mix of short expert panels and quick topical talks, covering areas of destination development, ocean health and impacts, corporate hotel sustainability, community tourism, and global trends on sustainability and mass tourism.
eTN Chatroom for Readers (join us)
One of the panel discussions on Hotel Sustainability – The Right Stuff has a prestigious line up on panelists:
– Michael Blanding, Director Corporate Responsibility, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia and Greater China, IHG – InterContinental Hotels Group
– Eleanor Cunningham, Senior Engineering Manager Asia Pacific, Marriott International
– Marie Fukodome, Director, Environmental Affairs Corporate Responsibility, Hyatt
– John Roberts, Group Director Sustainability and Conservation, Anantara Hotels Resorts & Spas
– Jeff Smith, Vice President Sustainability, Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas
– David Barrett, Consultant Events, The Slate, as moderator
Travel and tourism have grown immensely and will continue to do so. We are in a new paradigm where we must control tourism and not just promote it. Examples of extreme environmental degradation, overcrowding, and public outcry among residents are emerging across the world as tourism backlash. However, the increased awareness of travelers, business, and government together can work to scale solutions. In Phuket as well as other destinations in Thailand and the region, we now have a choice as an industry: either exacerbate the negative effects of tourism and risk losing market share or leverage the opportunity for tourism to contribute to sustainable development, environmental protection, and collective impact for its local communities. The day will explore the challenges and opportunities for hotels to turn the negative into a positive.
Sign up now for Southeast Asia’s biggest green event. Join us on Monday, September 24, 2018, in Phuket, Thailand, for Phuket Hotels for Islands Sustaining Tourism Forum (PHIST) 2018.
For more information, click here.